Apple cake is a favorite that we have now made gluten free. The apple is nice and spicy. The cake part has fresh ginger added to it, this gives a delicious and distinctive flavor, which is so different from adding ground ginger.
Apple cake gluten free dessert
I tried a new ingredient in the gluten free cake. Previously I have been adding guar gum to help replace the function of gluten. After I saw that Jenny from Au Naturale Nutrition had used psyllium husk powder in her wonderful looking dinner rolls, I had to try it in this gluten free apple cake. In this recipe I have replaced guar gum with psyllium husks as I did not have the powdered psyllium. I was very pleased with the result and I will be using it again.The whole family will love this Apple Cake Gluten Free Dessert Click To Tweet
Ingredients for the Apple Cake Gluten Free Dessert
1 and 1/2 pounds of cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 to 3/4 cup sultanas/raisins
Sweetener of your choice – I use a combination of Stevia and Zero (Both natural sweeteners)
Spices – Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (optional or according to taste)
Cook the apples with and all other ingredients with a little water. Don’t overcook them, it is nice when the slices still have some form. If you end up with too much apple juice, drain some off and keep it to serve with the dessert.
When the apples are cooked place in a greased bowl.
The Gluten Free Cake
- 1 and 1/2 cups of gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks (Buy or read reviews here)
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 6 tablespoons of organic coconut oil (Buy or read reviews here)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 inches of fresh ginger finely grated
- Sweetening – I use a combination of Stevia and Zero
1.Beat the egg whites until they peak
2. Beat the softened butter and coconut oil with the sweeteners
3. Add the egg yolks and grated ginger
4. Mix the flour psyllium husks and baking powder together
5. Add the butter mix to the flour mix
6. Now fold in the egg whites
7. If you need to adjust the consistency a little water will help
8. Now pour the batter over the cooked apples and smooth the top a little
9. Cook in a moderate over until the cake is cooked.
If you want to stretch the dessert to go further you can alter the amount of apple under the cake. It is wonderful served with whipped cream or coconut cream. On the cake below I sprinkled cinnamon on the top.
The whole family will love this Apple Cake Gluten Free Dessert
I know that like me, you love to live a frugal lifestyle by saving where you can. That is why I want to share this link to Iherb. This link will give you a 10% discount on your first order. Take a look now. Just click on the image. I am proud to be an IHerb affiliate because they treat the customer so well. As well as low prices they also give back 10% of your order value toward the next order.
[FWSSubscriptionForm extramergefield=”via blog post” title=”Subscribe today” description=”We would love you to join us. Receive the Monthly Inside News”]
Enjoy these interesting healthy recipes