I have experimented many times with this recipe, best flatbread [low carb] it keeps getting better and we love all the different ways to benefit from its versatility.
Best FlatBread [Low Carb]
When I first started my very low carb diet, I thought I could not get by without bread. Now this recipe is so easy to make and it satisfies my need to have other bread.
Best FlatBread [Low Carb] Ingredients
The recipe will make 16 pieces of flatbread, depending on the size you require.
6 eggs separated
Pinch of salt
250 g of cream cheese or coconut cream – at room temperature. I find coconut cream easier to work with.
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
3 tablespoons of flax seeds (Ground) Do not cook over 300 F or the oil will spoil,
1 rounded tablespoon of psyllium husks
1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 to 1 cup of water
Best FlatBread [Low Carb] Method
Place cooking paper on a large tray and grease it with coconut oil.
- Mix the cream cheese, egg yolks, baking powder and psyllium husks.
2. Grind (blend) the flax seeds –
NOTE: When flax seeds have been ground, they are susceptible to the omega 3 oils going rancid. To avoid this grind them just before use and don’t heat them above 300 deg F.
3. Sprinkle the chia seeds and ground flax over the egg yolk and cream cheese and mix all the ingredients together well. Mix with a stick beater or a large spoon.
4. Let the mixture rest for around 30 mins to allow the chia and flax to soak up the fluids and release their very beneficial soluble fiber.
5. After 20 minutes warm the oven to just under 300 deg F.
6. Beat the egg whites and salt until it is very thick.
7. Add the baking powder to the yolk mix. It will be quite thick so add the half cup of water and mix well. If it is still very thick you can add a little more water.
8. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix. Don’t over mix it as you want to retain the air in the mix.
9. Place the mixture in large spoonfuls onto the tray, leaving space for them to spread.
I sometimes take a swiss roll flat tray and spread some flatbread mix to make larger bread. As the mix is thinner it will cook quicker, so don’t dry it out too much by overcooking.
10. Keep the oven just under 300 deg F so that the delicate oils do not spoil. The flatbread needs to cook at this low temp for about 1 hour. The rounded heaps of flatbread will rise when they are cooking but then flatten out as they cool.On a low carb diet you won't miss bread with this easy and versatile flatbread recipe Click To Tweet
This is how I use my best flatbread [low carb]
The slice of flatbread can be heated or toasted (carefully or it will burn) add a low carb topping of your choice and do a cheese melt.
Top the low carb flatbread with avocado, add some pepper for a nice snack anytime. On the right, I added some sugarless raspberry jam and topped it with whipped cream. That is so good.
Here is a delicious breakfast using the low carb flatbread. Very few carbs in that meal.
Cream Parfait using low carb flatbread.
Add low carb fillings to make a delicious burger with the flatbread.
Best FlatBread [Low Carb]
I know that like me, you love to live a frugal lifestyle by saving where you can. That is why I want to share this link to IHerb. This link will save you on your health products. Take a look now. Just click on the image. I am proud to be an IHerb affiliate because they treat the customer so well. As well as low prices they also give back 5% of your order value toward the next order.
Join us – we uplift and encourage each other –
Enjoy these low carb recipes