This Leg of lamb recipe is for a leg of lamb that has been butterflied. That is the bone has been removed and the lamb is laid out flat. Because of this, the meat density is quite thin compared to a leg of lamb with the bone still in it.
Leg of Lamb Recipe
One of the advantages of a butterfly leg is that it does not take very long to cook due to not being very thick. That makes it very economical to cook.
The marinade is full of goodness with fresh ginger and pawpaw (papaya). Pawpaw is rich in an enzyme called Papain. Papain helps to digest protein. Used in the marinade it helps to tenderize the meat. We later turn the marinade into a gravy so that the papain now helps you to digest the protein in the lamb. Note the greener the papaya the more enzyme in it.
Ingredients for our Leg of Lamb Recipe
900 g of Butterfly Lamb Leg (organic)
- 2 inches of finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 pawpaw (papaya) with some green on it.
- 1/4 cup Tamari (soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup Masala or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Maple Syrup
Method for Leg of Lamb Recipe
1. Wash the lamb under running water to remove any bacteria.
2. In a suitable dish, slice half of the paw paw (sliced or grated).
3. Lay the Lamb on top.
4. Lay slices of the remaining pawpaw on top of the lamb.
5. Mix the ginger and all the liquids together and pour over the lamb.
6. Let the lamb marinate out of the fridge for 2 hours and then leave it covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. If the meat needs a lot of tenderizing then leave it overnight in the fridge.
7. The butterfly leg of lamb could be roasted in the oven, today I am going to cook mine in a pan on the stove-top.
8. Melt some coconut oil in the pan and remove the lamb from the marinade and sear it on both sides.
9. Using a stick blender, blend the marinade to make a sauce.
10. Pour this over the seared lamb.
11. Turn the heat down so that the mixture gently boils around the meat.
12 Place a lid on the pan.
13. Cook for around 45 minutes
14. Prepare the vegetables that you want to serve with the lamb
I am roasting some sweet potato and pumpkin cubes.
Boiled peas and beans and broccoli.Leg of lamb recipe with enzyme rich marinade - papaya, ginger - goodness Click To Tweet
There is our leg of lamb recipe with marinade, cooked and served up as a very tasty satisfying meal.
I know that like me, you love to live a frugal lifestyle by saving where you can. That is why I want to share this link to Iherb. This link will give you a 10% discount on your first order. Take a look now. Just click on the image. I am proud to be an IHerb affiliate because they treat the customer so well. As well as low prices they also give back 10% of each order value toward the next order.
Join us we uplift and encourage each other –
Enjoy these healthy recipes