The upside-down apple cake could be made in one large dish, today I am making individual servings. They are topped with melted chocolate and pecan nuts.
Upside-down Apple Cake – Gluten Free
Upside-down Apple Cake Ingredients
Cooking apples – peeled, sliced and half cooked. The slices need to hold their form. Sweeten them with your favorite sweetener I used Zero
When the apples are ready arrange them in the bottom of greased dishes. This recipe will make 4 – 6 individual serves.
To top the cakes have some dark chocolate squares and pecan nuts.
The Gluten Free Cake
- 3/4 cups of gluten free flour
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husks (Buy or read reviews here – IHerb)
- 3 tablespoons cup soft butter
- 3 tablespoons of organic coconut oil (Buy or read reviews here – IHerb)
- 1 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 and 1/2 inches of fresh ginger finely grated
- Sweetening – I use a combination of Stevia and Zero
1.Beat the egg whites until they peak
2. Beat the softened butter and coconut oil with the sweeteners
3. Add the egg yolks and grated ginger
4. Mix the flour psyllium husks and baking powder together
5. Add the butter mix to the flour mix
6. Now fold in the egg whites
7. If you need to adjust the consistency a little water will help
8. Now pour the batter over the cooked apples and smooth the top a little
9. Cook in a moderate over until the cake is cooked.
Allow the cakes to cool a little, run a knife around the top and turn upside-down on a tray.
Place two squares of chocolate on top of the apple and place in a warm oven to melt the chocolate. Do not overheat the chocolate. When it looks soft, take a pecan nut to place on the top of the chocolate. You may have to spread the chocolate a little. After placing the nut leave the cakes in the warm over for a few minutes and then remove them.
The upside-down apple cake is very nice served hot or cold.
If you are like me I like to cook more than I need so that I have some leftover for the next day. The leftover cakes should be stored in the fridge. Because they have butter and coconut oil in them, the texture will go quite firm. I like to eat them cold like that. I also like to eat them warmed up.
How to re-heat the upside-down apple cake
This is how to warm them up. Due to the fact that melted chocolate is not nice overcooked, we are going to cut or lift the chocolate off the cake. Place the cake, without the chocolate top, on a piece of foil. Sprinkle the cake with a good teaspoon full of water and wrap the cake in the foil. Place the wrapped cake in a moderate oven until it is heated through.
When the cakes are heated, remove them from the oven and the foil, and place in your serving dish. Put the chocolate and pecan nut back on the top. You will now find the texture of the cake to be wonderfully soft and delicious.
We have added a Christmas theme to the upside-down apple cake that is deliciously gluten free.
I know that like me, you love to live a frugal lifestyle by saving where you can. That is why I want to share this $5.00 Iherb discount coupon with you. You also get to choose a gift from their freebies page. Take a look now. Just click on the image.
[FWSSubscriptionForm extramergefield=”via blog post” title=”Subscribe today” description=”We would love you to join us. Receive the Monthly Inside News”]
Enjoy these healthy recipes